The neck, for such a small area, is a significant part of our body. It’s role is to support the weight of a bowling ball is our head, all day long. Neck pain is a major cause of morbidity & disability in everyday life and at work, affecting the quality of life.
The world-wide prevalence ranges from 20% – 70%.
WHAT CAUSES NECK PAIN?
- Muscle tension or strain caused by poor posture
- Injury from sports or accidents
- Underlying conditions like osteoarthritis, or degenerative disc/joint disease.
- Underlying psychological stressors.
YOU MAY EXPERIENCE…
- Neck pain which usually worsens with movement
- Muscle tightness or spasms
- Reduced ability to move your head
- Headache, back or shoulder pain
- Numbness or tingling along your arm*
- Headache associated with fever*
*Seek immediate care if you experience these symptoms or it results from an injury such as motor-vehicle accidents, diving accidents or falls.
HOW SHOULD YOU CARE FOR YOUR NECK
- Practise good posture
- Take frequent breaks
- Adjust your desk and chair
- Avoid carrying heavy bags over your shoulder
- Use ergonomic pillow & mattress
- Regular exercise
- Quit smoking